Monday, July 2, 2012

July MME Challenge - Monochromatic

Happy Monday!  Whew, what a weekend.  My family (in Ohio) finally got power this monring since the storm rolled through Friday night.  At least my sister had power, so my dad and kids were seeking refuge from the heat at her place.  I'm sending my positive thoughts to all those affected by the storms.

This weekend was fairly quiet here in the SLC area of Utah, in regards to fires and wind, but as I type this post, I can hear the wind kicking up again.  :(  I hope it doesn't bring more fires and bad news.  I am fearful what happens as we get closer to the 4th.

So it's the start of new month - I can't believe it's July, can you?  What happened to June? 

With the start of a new month, comes a new challenge over on the MME blog.  The first challenge this month is to create a monochromatic project.  Don't know what monochromatic means?  Here's the textbook defination...

"having or appearing to have one color", or "using/combining one color in several tones".  For my layout, I used one of my favorite colors, BLUE, and the blues in the Indie Chic Nutmeg collection were perfect for this challenge.

The base of my page actually started with an experiment mistake.  I had been trying out different cut designs with my die cut machine, and this cut pattern was originally intended to be used on another layout.  I decided to not use the cut pattern for that layout, so I kept both the cut pattern and negative of the cut for future use.


When looking through my stash for blue paper and embellishments, I came upon this 'mistake' and had an idea.  How about I use the negative pattern for the background of my monochromatic layout. 

Using the flower pattern on the 'Family' Laurel Burst paper, I lined up the center of my negative opening with the center of a flower.  Since my second negative opening was going to be covered with my title, I didn't worry about centering a flower in it.


I made several accordion flowers out of more blue patterned paper and clustered them with blue button, brads, and layered stickers throughout the page.  Because the background paper is in a neutral color, the blue doesn't become overwhelming, and allows the blue colors to pop off the page.






Are you ready for a little extra surprise? 

When I was working on this project I was really struggling with the monochromatic technique.  Using one color in several tones can be very challenging, but I perservered. 

I would like to share the 'first' layout I created for this challenge.  I wasn't really happy with the monochromatic look or the overall design of this layout, so that is why I created the layout above.

Since I had in mind the photos and title I wanted to use, both layouts share these similiar elements.  This layout uses the Nostalgia collection from MME.  The colors and the designs of this collection are so beautiful, especially if you love heritage and vintage layouts. 

You can see I still had a 'circular theme' in mind, but I used a pie shaped wedge for the circular idea.


The entire layout is similiar in design to the above one, but looks entirely different because of the color used, and placement of the photos and embellishments.






This is one of those layouts I never intended to share, but I thought it would be fun to show you that we all question our creations from time to time.  I would LOVE to hear which one is your favorite.  Many times, my least favorite layouts are your favorites! 
I hope you enjoyed my layout for the monochromatic challenge.  Hope on over to the MME blog and link up those layouts. 
Photobucket
Supply List:

Paper: 
Indie Chic, Citron, 'Girl' Primrose
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Family' Laurel Burst
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Boy' Checker
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, Memories' Checker
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Family' Layered Stickers
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Family' Decorative Buttons
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Boy' Decorative Brads
Indie Chic, Nutmeg, 'Memories' Layered Chipboard Stickers
Indie Chic, Citron, 'What a day' Decorative Buttons
Misc:
Alphas - American Crafts (large), October Afternoon (small)
Punch - EK Success
Score board - Martha Stewart
Electronic Die Cut Machine - Silhouette Cameo
Adhesive - EK Success, Thermo Web - Zots

8 comments:

Ashley Horton said...

Both awesome pages Tina!! I love the circle elements on both of them and the monochromatic look on the first one is great!

Diana Waite said...

I actually think that both of them are FANTASTIC--they are different because of the colors--I think that monochromatic would be difficult--GREAT job Tina!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow I love them both, but your first LO really knocks it out of the park! Beautiful!!!

Georgia Heald said...

These are so gorgeous Tina! You can see how much thought goes into each of your designs and I am completely in love with the colors on both of these layouts. Amazing work =)

sandi said...

Fabulous los! Love how you put together the bits and pieces on both!

Svetlana Austin said...

I love the first one so much! such a great inspiration, Tina! I will surely take part in this challenge!

Eila Sandberg said...

Wow Tina! both pages are brilliant but I think my fave is the first one. Gorgeous work! As Georgia says, your designs are always put together with so much great care. xoxo

Helen Tilbury said...

Amazing work Tina! May I suggest you add a "follow by e mail" gadget to your sidebar? It would be a blessing to me to be able to never miss another one of your luscious postings!

8 comments:

Ashley Horton said...

Both awesome pages Tina!! I love the circle elements on both of them and the monochromatic look on the first one is great!

Diana Waite said...

I actually think that both of them are FANTASTIC--they are different because of the colors--I think that monochromatic would be difficult--GREAT job Tina!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow I love them both, but your first LO really knocks it out of the park! Beautiful!!!

Georgia Heald said...

These are so gorgeous Tina! You can see how much thought goes into each of your designs and I am completely in love with the colors on both of these layouts. Amazing work =)

sandi said...

Fabulous los! Love how you put together the bits and pieces on both!

Svetlana Austin said...

I love the first one so much! such a great inspiration, Tina! I will surely take part in this challenge!

Eila Sandberg said...

Wow Tina! both pages are brilliant but I think my fave is the first one. Gorgeous work! As Georgia says, your designs are always put together with so much great care. xoxo

Helen Tilbury said...

Amazing work Tina! May I suggest you add a "follow by e mail" gadget to your sidebar? It would be a blessing to me to be able to never miss another one of your luscious postings!